Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tuesdays With Texas Chapter 6 ( Life Throws A Curve Ball)

Texas 2008 (31yrs)
                              Chapter 6   ( Life Throws A Curve Ball) or 2 or 3

 Tex settled into his home really well, at first I thought he would be lonely coming out of a herd and being alone......come to think of it he didn't have that many friends over there anyhow. We spent a lot of time together and then crap happened. I vowed I wasn't going to get into personal stuff in this story ....but unhappily it is all part of our story...so I will not dwell on the stuff but just rattle it off ....that way you will understand just why this horse became such an important factor in my life.

I already had issues with an Ex husband so having more chucked my way was a bit heavy...anyhow one carries on. I ended up with some weird sickness and honestly I wasn't all that sure I was going to be around much longer. I ended up in the hospital becoming an unwilling guinea pig...poked and prodded and .......well lets just say I make a terrible patient. Stuff gets a bit mixed up in my head here so I could be off on some of my recollections...but I'll do the best I can. Arrangements were made for Tex to go live at my parents place...still not sure how all that came about ,anyhow one less thing for me to worry about. I don't really know how long I was in the hospital but I was getting worse and not better so I decided if I was dying I was going home...at least then I could see my horse and well you know...Well I was quite a mess, I was so skinny clothes hurt my bones, OK to personal....I will shorten this up ....it took me a long time to be able to get around so Tex was still at my parents place.....(by the way thanks Mom because I'm pretty sure she was responsible for Tex being looked after)

I don't know how much time went by, I would go visit my horse but I couldn't do much....   then the big day came and I decided I was going to go for a ride....and I discovered I couldn't ride.  First I couldn't get on...so I cheated then I had no balance and I kept falling off the side....poor horse didn't know what to make of this development so what does a good horse do....stands as still as a statue....that was my first ride. Somewhere along the way I got better enough to take Tex home again....couldn't ride but at least I could spend time with him..... grooming and well just hanging around.

During this time, many trips to my doctor were made ....nothing good ever came from that.(I have to add here that one of the things I had going on was to do with my legs.I had no feeling in them below the knee so  walking was a bit strange. I used to have to look at my feet to make sure they were actually on the floor )I was more or less told to get used to my condition and my biggest concern...riding.... I was told to forget about that. So for those of you that know and don't know me....those are fight'n words...not ride....not in this lifetime. I believe having Tex at home helped in my recovery...I had to move to take care of him ...and instead of sitting or laying around all day I would go out and spend time with him....he seemed to get that I had problems, he was always very careful where he put his feet, I used him as my support to hold me up and he would never move away and take my support  until I was already moving away from him. He always made himself accessible to me....you have to understand Tex is not a big horse but because I could only use one arm even putting a halter on was tough....he would lower his head so I could just slip it over his ears......Now some of you may snicker here but I truly believe that horse saved my life.....and that wouldn't be the only time.

3 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds to me like he saved your life . It is amazing what a good horse can give us , their onconditional love and acceptance is so theraputic and I truly beleive we need them as much or more than they need us

Shirley said...

Special horses like Tex are a gift given to us in our time of need. This post made my eyes leak a little! It's proof of how in tune with us our equines are.

Margaret said...

This made me feel hopeful and thankful. Thank you for sharing this story about your relationship with your horse... he looks great! And I hope you are truly on the mend.

The Mares

The Girls That Share My Life

Jazz

Jazz

Moxie

Moxie

Jade

Jade

Mattie

Mattie