Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dog Meets Immoveable Object

Well it wasn't exactley the morning I had envisioned... for those of you that don't like to see injuries here is a heads up...it's not that bad though. Sage and I went out to turn horses loose, she helps me a lot and she's quite good at it....although I worry about her getting hurt...with that old back injury it wouldn't take much to finish her.Sage gets really intense when she is doing her job...to the point of stupid about everything else...she gets so into it she doesn't always watch what is in her immediate space ...like things that might cause injury etc. I believe while rounding up the horses she ran headlong into a backhoe bucket kinda thing...lets just say it is made from heavy steel....and the result is this....
                                                                              
she never yelped or showed any signs of injury until she came in the house. I pet her head and it was wet so I took a closer look ...upon inspection I found a gash just above her eye, there was a chunk of flesh missing. I'm glad I went with my instinct which said to take her in and get it looked at.When the vet shaved around the wound to take a look it wasn't very pretty the more you could see the uglier it got. Sage not only dented her head but about the middle of that wound she broke the bone in there. The vet says it is wedged in there pretty good. The silver lining is it will heal...so my little helper is officially fired ...as much as I rely on her help I will just have to live without it...she will be reduced to her outruns and that will have to be enough to make her happy.

9 comments:

The Southern Peach-Girls said...

Poor Sage!
-Farm girl

Shirley said...

Oh no.... poor Sage! She needs bubble wrap I think! Hope she heals well, poor thing.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Poor darling!!! Glad you got it fixed up! its just a little higher than Skeeters scar from his encounter with a hoof

Nicole said...

Poor girl. My corgis got fired too, after getting kicked, stepped on and dragged. It is amazing how focused they get while herding.
Hope she feels better soon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh my the poor girl..hope she doesn't have a huge headache:(

Unknown said...

Poor thing. Ouch!!

Montanagirl said...

Ooooh, ouchy!! Poor thing. Hope she recovers quickly.

gtyyup said...

Poor girl!!! So glad you took her in...that's a bad one~

Terry and Linda said...

Oh, darn! Poor dear! She won't be fired forever will she, her heart would probably be broken. Speaking of broken what he able to get the broken bone out of her brain?


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

The Mares

The Girls That Share My Life

Jazz

Jazz

Moxie

Moxie

Jade

Jade

Mattie

Mattie